- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in Rhode Island, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your Rhode Island motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid Rhode Island motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in Rhode Island for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
Rhode Island Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in Rhode Island is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the Rhode Island DMV.
How to register a motorcycle in Rhode Island:
- Complete a registration application: https://dmv.ri.gov/media/1116/download
- Provide proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Submit your proof of ownership (title, bill of sale, previous registration, etc).
- Complete a VIN check, if applicable.
- Pay the registration fees and taxes.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in Rhode Island
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your Rhode Island motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
Your options for renewing your Rhode Island motorcycle registration include:
- By mail.
- At your local DMV branch.
- Through AAA for members.
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal include:
- Your personal information and address.
- Your motorcycle registration details.
- Payment for your registration fees and taxes.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
Rhode Island Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
How much does it cost to register a motorcycle in Rhode Island?
The fees for Rhode Island motorcycle registration are as follows:
- New motorcycle registration: Prorated fee + $2.50 + $13
- Motorcycle registration renewal (2 years): $41.50 + $13 DOT fee.
For more information about Rhode Island motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official DMV website at: http://www.dmv.ri.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Rhode Island.