In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in Virginia, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your Virginia motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid Virginia motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in Virginia for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
Virginia Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in Virginia is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the Virginia DMV.
How to register a motorcycle in Virginia:
- Visit your local DMV office.
- Complete an Application for Registration: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa14.pdf
- Provide your Virginia motorcycle title.
- Have completed a motorcycle safety inspection and get a valid safety inspection sticker.
- Provide proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Pay the registration fees and taxes.
If you’ve just moved to Virginia, you’ll have 30 days to register and title your motorcycle.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in Virginia
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your Virginia motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
Your options for renewing your Virginia motorcycle registration include:
- Online: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/webtrans/Vehicle_Registration/intro.aspx
- By mail.
- In person at a DMV Select Office.
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal include:
- Your motorcycle registration renewal notice.
- Payment for your renewal fees.
- Pay any necessary property taxes and complete the annual safety inspection.
If your address has changed since your last renewal, be sure to update it before renewing your registration.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
Virginia Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
How much does it cost to register a motorcycle in Virginia?
The fees for Virginia motorcycle registration are as follows:
- Motorcycle registration: $24.75.
- Motorcycle safety inspection: $12.
- Local fees and taxes may vary.
You can opt to register your motorcycle for periods of 1, 2, or 3 years. Choosing a 2 or 3 year renewal will get you a small discount.
For more information about Virginia motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/#/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Virginia.