When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Alabama DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Alabama.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Alabama motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Alabama?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Alabama Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Alabama motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out an Alabama motorcycle title:
- Record the date of sale in the “Assignment of Title by Registered Owner” section.
- Record the odometer reading, if applicable.
- Write the buyer’s information in the buyer section.
- Print the names of both buyer and seller on the appropriate lines.
- Have both parties sign the title.
Alabama Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Alabama.
Here is what you need to transfer an Alabama motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county office.
- Present the signed over title and the bill of sale, if applicable.
- Complete an application for a new title.
- Be prepared to provide proof of your identity and address.
- Pay the application fees.
Depending on your county, you may receive a title at the office or you may need to wait to receive one in the mail.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Alabama?
The fees for Alabama motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title Application fee: $15.
- Processing fee: $1.50
- Duplicate title fee: $15.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Alabama, check out the official DMV website at: https://revenue.alabama.gov/motor-vehicle/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Alabama.