When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Alaska DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Alaska.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Alaska motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Alaska?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Alaska Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Alaska motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out an Alaska motorcycle title:
- Flip it to the back side to find the fields for the buyer, seller, and sale information.
- Record the buyer information in the “Buyer or Transferee” section.
- Record the odometer reading, if applicable.
- Have the buyer and seller sign on the appropriate lines.
Alaska Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Alaska.
Here is what you need to transfer an Alaska motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local DMV office.
- Present the released title or the MCO.
- Complete a Vehicle Transaction Application: https://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/forms/pdfs/812.pdf
- Pay the necessary fees.
If you’ve just purchased the motorcycle, you’ll need to transfer the title within 30 days.
Note – it is illegal to sell a motorcycle without first getting it titled in your name.
If you live in a remote area of Alaska, you can submit your documents by mail.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Alaska?
The fees for Alaska motorcycle title transfers include:
- Motorcycle title fee: $15.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Alaska, check out the official DMV website at: http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/home.htm
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Alaska.