ATTENTION: Need to transfer a motorcycle title? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Arizona MVD’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Arizona.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Arizona motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Arizona?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local MVD in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the MVD of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Arizona Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Arizona motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official MVD for any questions.
To fill out an Arizona motorcycle title:
- Refer to the back of the title for instructions.
- Fill out the buyer’s information in the appropriate section along with the date of sale.
- Record the odometer reading, if applicable.
- The seller should record their information in the Seller’s section.
- The title should be signed in the presence of a notary public or an authorized DMV agent.
Arizona Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Arizona.
Here is what you need to transfer an Arizona motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local MVD office.
- Complete a title application: https://apps.azdot.gov/files/mvd/mvd-forms-lib/96-0236.pdf
- Present the released, signed, and notarized motorcycle title.
- Pay the title fees.
If eligible, you may be able to complete the title transfer online. To get started, please visit: https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/vehicle-services/title-and-registration/etitle-transfer
After buying a motorcycle., you’ll need to complete the title transfer within 15 days.
In Arizona, titles are now held electronically. If you require a hard copy of the title, you can request one for an additional fee.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Arizona?
The fees for Arizona motorcycle title transfers include:
- Paper title fee: $4.
- Title transfer fee: $4.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Arizona, check out the official MVD website at: https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicle-services
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Arizona.