When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Arkansas DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Arkansas.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Arkansas motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Arkansas?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Arkansas Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Arkansas motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out an Arkansas motorcycle title:
- Refer to the backside of the motorcycle title.
- Record the Buyer’s name and address in the buyer section.
- Include the odometer reading in the “Mileage” box, if applicable.
- Record the date of the sale and print the seller’s name.
- Have the buyer and seller sign the title on the appropriate lines.
- Have the signatures notarized.
Arkansas Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Arkansas.
Here is what you need to transfer an Arkansas motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local vehicle office.
- Have your proof of ownership documents ready (title, bill of sale, MSO, etc.)
- Have your insurance information if you plan on registering the motorcycle as well.
- Have completed the odometer disclosure statement, if applicable.
- Have your personal property tax number, if necessary.
- Pay the title fees.
If you’ve just moved to Arkansas or have purchased a motorcycle, you’ll need to transfer the title within 30 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Arkansas?
The fees for Arkansas motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer fee: $10.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Arkansas, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/services/category/vehicles/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Arkansas.