When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Colorado DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Colorado.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Colorado motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Colorado?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Colorado Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Colorado motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Colorado motorcycle title:
- Refer to the back of your title.
- Record the odometer reading in the “Odometer Reading” box.
- Print and sign the seller’s name.
- Have the buyer complete the “Buyer’s” section and sign it.
Colorado Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Colorado.
Here is what you need to transfer a Colorado motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county DMV.
- Provide proof of your identification and address.
- Submit the signed title.
- Provide a bill of sale for sale tax, if applicable.
- Complete an application for a new title: http://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2395.pdf
- Pay the titling fees.
If you’ve just moved to CO, you’ll have 90 days to title and register your vehicle.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Colorado, check out the official DMV website at: https://dmv.colorado.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Colorado.