When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Connecticut DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Connecticut.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Connecticut motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Connecticut?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Connecticut Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Connecticut motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Connecticut motorcycle title:
- On the back of the title, you’ll find the boxes that need to be filled and signed.
- Record the Odometer reading.
- Record the name and address of the buyer.
- Have the buyer sign the appropriate line.
- Have the seller print and sign their name.
- Record the date of the sale.
Connecticut Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Connecticut.
Here is what you need to transfer a Connecticut motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local DMV with proper proof of ID.
- Complete a title application: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DMV/20/29/H13Bpdf.pdf
- Provide the signed over motorcycle title and any other ownership documents.
- Submit the bill of sale.
- Pay the registration and title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Connecticut?
The fees for Connecticut motorcycle title transfers include:
- $133 registration fee.
- Title fee: $25.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Connecticut, check out the official DMV website at: https://portal.ct.gov/DMV
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Connecticut.