When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Delaware DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Delaware.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Delaware motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Delaware?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Delaware Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Delaware motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Delaware motorcycle title:
- Turn to the back of the title.
- Have the buyer complete the “Purchaser” section.
- Complete the odometer reading section.
- Have both parties sign the title.
Delaware Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Delaware.
Here is what you need to transfer a Delaware motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local DMV office.
- Bring proof of your identity (DE driver’s license) and 2 proofs of your address.
- Bring along the signed over title and any other ownership documents.
- Pay the title fees.
The DMV recommends that both the buyer and seller visit the DMV together, but it is not a requirement.
If you’ve just purchased a vehicle, you’ll need to title it in your name within 30 days. Failing to do so will result in a late fee.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Delaware?
The fees for Delaware motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $35.
- Lien title fee: $55.
- Late fee: $35.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Delaware, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.dmv.de.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Delaware.