- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Florida HSMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Florida.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Florida motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Florida?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local HSMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the HSMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Florida Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Florida motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official HSMV for any questions.
To fill out a paper Florida motorcycle title:
- The seller should fill out the Transfer of Title by Seller section, which includes:
- Name and address of buyer.
- Odometer reading.
- Sale price.
- Date of sale.
- The seller should sign and print their name on the appropriate lines.
- The buyer should sign and print their name on the appropriate lines.
For electronic titles, the seller and buyer must visit a motor vehicle service center together to complete the transaction.
Florida Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Florida.
Here is what you need to transfer a Florida motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local HSMV service center.
- Provide the signed over title.
- Complete a Application for Certificate of Title: https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf
- Pay the title fees.
- Be prepared to show proof of your identity and address.
If you’ve recently purchased a motorcycle, you’ll need to complete the title transfer within 30 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Florida?
The fees for Florida motorcycle title transfers include:
- Original new motorcycle title: $77.25.
- Original used motorcycle title: $85.25.
- Title transfer fee: $75.25.
- Fast title fee: $10.
- Late fee: $20.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Florida, check out the official HSMV website at: https://www.flhsmv.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Florida.