⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Idaho DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Idaho.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Idaho motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Idaho?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Idaho Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Idaho motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out an Idaho motorcycle title:
- On the front of the title, record the odometer reading the appropriate box.
- Record the date of the sale.
- Have the seller complete the assignment of the title section with their printed name and signature.
- Have the buyer complete and sign the purchaser’s section.
Idaho Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Idaho.
Here is what you need to transfer an Idaho motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county assessor’s motorcycle vehicle office.
- Provide the signed over title.
- Include the bill of sale if the sales price has not been recorded on the title.
- Complete a VIN inspection, if applicable.
- Pay the title fees.
If you’ve just purchased your motorcycle, you’ll have 30 days to get it titled.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Idaho?
The fees for Idaho motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $14.
- Duplicate title and transfer: $28.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Idaho, check out the official DMV website at: https://itd.idaho.gov/itddmv/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Idaho.