ATTENTION: Need to transfer a motorcycle title? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Indiana BMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Indiana.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Indiana motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Indiana?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local BMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the BMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Indiana Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Indiana motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official BMV for any questions.
To fill out an Indiana motorcycle title:
- Record the odometer reading in the odometer statement area on the left side of the title.
- The seller should sign and print on the appropriate lines near the odometer reading.
- Record the date of the sale, the sale price, and any other necessary information in the next boxes.
- Include the buyer’s information in the Name of Purchaser section.
- Have the buyer sign on the signature of the purchaser line.
Indiana Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Indiana.
Here is what you need to transfer an Indiana motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local BMV office.
- Provide the signed motorcycle title.
- Complete a VIN verification if the bike is from out of state.
- Provide proof of your identity and address.
- Pay the title fees.
You’ll have up to 45 days to transfer the motorcycle title after the sale date.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Indiana?
The fees for Indiana motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer fee: $15.
- Expedited title: $25.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Indiana, check out the official BMV website at: https://www.in.gov/bmv/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Indiana.