⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Iowa MVD’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Iowa.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Iowa motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Iowa?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local MVD in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the MVD of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Iowa Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Iowa motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official MVD for any questions.
To fill out an Iowa motorcycle title:
- On the back, include the buyer’s name and address in the appropriate section.
- Next, record the motorcycle’s odometer reading.
- Record the date of sale.
- Have the seller sign and print their name on the “Signature of Seller” area.
Iowa Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Iowa.
Here is what you need to transfer an Iowa motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county treasurer’s office.
- Complete a title application: https://iowadot.seamlessdocs.com/f/ApplforCertificateofTitleandorRegforaVehicle
- Submit the motorcycle title.
- Provide the bill of sale, if applicable.
- Pay the title fees.
You’ll have up to 30 days to get the motorcycle titled in your name.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Iowa?
The fees for Iowa motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $25
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Iowa, check out the official MVD website at: https://iowadot.gov/mvd
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Iowa.