When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Kansas DOR’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Kansas.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Kansas motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Kansas?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOR in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DOR of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Kansas Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Kansas motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOR for any questions.
To fill out a Kansas motorcycle title:
- Turn to the back of the title and record the buyer’s name and address.
- Complete the odometer reading section.
- Have the seller sign and date on the “Signature of Seller” line.
- Have the buyer sign and print their name on the “Signature of Buyer” line.
Kansas Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Kansas.
Here is what you need to transfer a Kansas motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county treasurer’s office.
- Present the filled out and signed title.
- Have the motorcycle inspected, if applicable.
- Pay the necessary fees and taxes.
To avoid any late fees, you’ll need to transfer your motorcycle title within 60 days of the sale.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Kansas?
The fees for Kansas motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer fee: $10.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Kansas, check out the official DOR website at: https://www.ksrevenue.org/dovindex.html
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Kansas.