When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Kentucky DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Kentucky.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Kentucky motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Kentucky?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Kentucky Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Kentucky motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Kentucky motorcycle title:
- Include the name and information for the buyer in the “Transfer of Title by Owner” section.
- Record the motorcycle’s odometer reading in the appropriate box.
- Have the seller complete and sign the Transferor’s section.
- Have the buyer complete and sign the Transferee’s section.
- Record the date of the sale.
- Have all signatures notarized.
Kentucky Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Kentucky.
Here is what you need to transfer a Kentucky motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county clerk’s office.
- Provide proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Provide proof of identification.
- Complete a title application: http://transportation.ky.gov/Organizational-Resources/Forms/TC%2096-182.pdf
- Pay the title fees.
After buying a motorcycle, you’ll need to get it titled within 15 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Kentucky?
The fees for Kentucky motorcycle title transfers include:
- Speed title: $25.
- Duplicate title: $6.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Kentucky, check out the official DMV website at: https://drive.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Kentucky.