When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Louisiana OMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Louisiana.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Louisiana motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Louisiana?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local OMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the OMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Louisiana Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Louisiana motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official OMV for any questions.
To fill out a Louisiana motorcycle title:
- Refer to the back of your motorcycle title.
- Record the date of the sale and the sale price.
- In the buyer section, include the buyer’s name and address.
- Record the motorcycle’s mileage in the odometer section.
- Have the buyer and seller’s signature notarized.
Louisiana Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Louisiana.
Here is what you need to transfer a Louisiana motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local OMV office.
- Complete a title application: https://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/DPSForms.nsf/8bad5589175b8981862575f20048ee65/3f5bfbc0df992df186256dc0006961fc/$FILE/1799%20-%20Vehicle%20Application%20(R0118).pdf
- Submit the notarized title and bill of sale.
- Provide the current registration certificates.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Louisiana?
The fees for Louisiana motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $68.
- Handling fee: $8
- Duplicate title fee: $68.50.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Louisiana, check out the official OMV website at: https://www.expresslane.org/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Louisiana.