When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Maine DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Maine.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Maine motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Maine?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Maine Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Maine motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Maine motorcycle title:
- Turn to the back side of the motorcycle title.
- Complete the “Assignment of Ownership” section with the buyer’s information.
- Include the date of the sale and the current mileage.
- The seller should sign where it says “Seller’s Signature” and record their name and address.
- The buyer should sign and print their name where it says “Signature of Buyer.”
Maine Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Maine.
Here is what you need to transfer a Maine motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit a BMV office location and complete an application for a certificate of title.
- Submit the signed-over title.
- Pay the title fees.
Motorcycles that are under 300cc or model year 1994 or older will not be issued a title.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Maine?
The fees for Maine motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title application fee: $33.
- Rush title fee: $10.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Maine, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Maine.