ATTENTION: Need to transfer a motorcycle title? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Maryland MVA’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Maryland.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Maryland motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Maryland?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local MVA in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the MVA of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Maryland Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Maryland motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official MVA for any questions.
To fill out a Maryland motorcycle title:
- Turn the title over.
- Record the name and address of the buyer in the top section.
- Enter the mileage in the odometer reading box.
- Enter the sale price and the date of the sale.
- The seller should sign and print their name on the Seller lines.
- The buyer should sign and print their name on the Buyer lines.
Maryland Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Maryland.
Here is what you need to transfer a Maryland motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local MVA office.
- Complete an application: https://mva.maryland.gov/Documents/VR-005.pdf
- Provide the title.
- Submit a notarized bill of sale.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Maryland?
The fees for Maryland motorcycle title transfers include:
- Certificate of title: $100.
- Title tax: 6% of purchase price or fair market value (minimum $38.40).
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Maryland, check out the official MVA website at: https://mva.maryland.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Maryland.