- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Massachusetts RMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Massachusetts.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Massachusetts motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Massachusetts?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local RMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the RMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Massachusetts Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Massachusetts motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official RMV for any questions.
To fill out a Massachusetts motorcycle title:
- On the back side of the title, record the sale price, buyer’s name, and date of the sale in the appropriate spaces.
- Record the buyer’s address.
- Record the odometer reading.
- The seller should sign and print their name on the appropriate lines.
- The buyer should sign and print their name on the Buyer’s lines.
Massachusetts Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Massachusetts.
Here is what you need to transfer a Massachusetts motorcycle title into your name:
- Make an appointment to visit an RMV office.
- Complete a Registration and Title Application with the insurance stamp and signature: https://www.mass.gov/doc/registration-and-title-application-0/download
- Provide the title.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Massachusetts?
The fees for Massachusetts motorcycle title transfers include:
- Certificate of title: $75.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Massachusetts, check out the official RMV website at: https://www.mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-registry-of-motor-vehicles
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Massachusetts.