Need to title your motorcycle? We'll walk you through each step. First, let's take care of your motorcycle insuance.
Now is a great time to compare quotes to see if you qualify for a lower rate. Why pay more for insurance if you don't have to? Switch today and save!
⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please answer the questions below to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Michigan SOS’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Michigan.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Michigan motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Michigan?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local SOS in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the SOS of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Michigan Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Michigan motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official SOS for any questions.
To fill out a Michigan motorcycle title:
- If you have a more recent Michigan motorcycle title, the assignment sections will be found on the front.
- In the “Purchaser” section, print the name and address of the buyer.
- Enter the motorcycle’s odometer reading.
- The seller should sign and print their name in the Seller boxes.
- The buyer should sign in the “Signature of Buyer” box.
Michigan Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Michigan.
Here is what you need to transfer a Michigan motorcycle title into your name:
- Make an appointment and visit the SOS office near you.
- Provide proof of your identity.
- Complete a title application.
- Provide the filled out and signed title.
- Pay the title fees.
The MI SOS recommends that the buyer and seller visit the SOS office together.
If you’ve just bought a motorcycle, you’ll need to transfer the title within 15 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Michigan?
The fees for Michigan motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $15.
- With lien: $16.
- 6% Tax on purchase price.
- Instant title fee: $5 + service fees.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Michigan, check out the official SOS website at: https://www.michigan.gov/sos
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Michigan.