⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Minnesota DPS’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Minnesota.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Minnesota motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Minnesota?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DPS in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DPS of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Minnesota Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Minnesota motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DPS for any questions.
To fill out a Minnesota motorcycle title:
- Look to the bottom half of the front of your title.
- Record the odometer reading.
- Record the seller’s name and address.
- Record the buyer’s name and address.
- Have the seller and buyer sign where it says “Seller Signature” and “Buyer Signature.”
Minnesota Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Minnesota.
Here is what you need to transfer a Minnesota motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit a deputy registrar office or submit your application and documents by mail.
- Submit the signed and filled title.
- Pay the title fees.
If you’ve just moved to Minnesota, you’ll have 60 days to title and register your motorcycle.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Minnesota?
The fees for Minnesota motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title filing fee: $11.
- Technology fee: $2.25
- Title fee: $8.25.
- Duplicate title: $7.25.
- Late fee: $2.
- Transfer tax: $10.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Minnesota, check out the official DPS website at: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Minnesota.