When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Mississippi DOR’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Mississippi.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Mississippi motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Mississippi?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOR in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DOR of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Mississippi Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Mississippi motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOR for any questions.
To fill out a Mississippi motorcycle title:
- Turn to the back side of the title.
- Record the buyer’s information in the Assignment of Title by Registered Owner Section.
- Record the current mileage reading.
- The seller signs and prints their name on the next lines label “Seller.”
- Record the date of the sale
- The buyer signs and prints their name on the lines for “Buyer.”
Mississippi Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Mississippi.
Here is what you need to transfer a Mississippi motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county tax office.
- Complete a title application.
- Provide the assigned title.
- Submit a bill of sale, if applicable.
If you’ve just purchased the motorcycle, you’ll need to transfer the title within 7 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Mississippi?
The fees for Mississippi motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer fee: $9.
- Fast title: $30.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Mississippi, check out the official DOR website at: https://www.dor.ms.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Mississippi.