- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Missouri DOR’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Missouri.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Missouri motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Missouri?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOR in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DOR of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Missouri Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Missouri motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOR for any questions.
To fill out a Missouri motorcycle title:
- Refer to the back side of the title.
- Print the buyer’s name, address, and sale price.
- Record the date of sale.
- Record the current odometer reading.
- Have the buyer sign on the “Signature of Purchaser” line.
- Have the seller sign on the Seller lines.
Missouri Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Missouri.
Here is what you need to transfer a Missouri motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local DOR office.
- Submit the signed certificate of title.
- Complete a title application: https://dor.mo.gov/forms/108.pdf
- Complete a VIN inspection if the bike is from out of state.
- Pay the taxes and titling fees.
If you’ve just purchased the motorcycle, you’ll have up to 30 days to title it. After that, you’ll face a $25 late fee for every 30 days you are late (up to $200).
If you’ve just moved to Missouri, you’ll also have up to 30 days to get your motorcycle titled.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Missouri?
The fees for Missouri motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $8.50.
- Processing fee: $6.
- State and local taxes.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Missouri, check out the official DOR website at: https://dor.mo.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Missouri.