⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Montana DOJ’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Montana.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Montana motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Montana?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOJ in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DOJ of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Montana Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Montana motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOJ for any questions.
To fill out a Montana motorcycle title:
- Visit a county treasurer’s office or a notary public so you can have your signatures notarized.
- Record the buyer’s name and address in the Purchaser section.
- Record the odometer reading and date.
- Record the seller’s name.
- Have both parties sign the title in front of a notary public or county treasurer.
Montana Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Montana.
Here is what you need to transfer a Montana motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county treasurer’s office.
- Present the previous registration and notarized title.
- Be prepared to provide proof of your identity and address.
- Pay the title fees, registration, and taxes.
If you’ve just moved, you’ll need to apply for a Montana title and registration within 60 days.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Montana, check out the official DOJ website at: https://dojmt.gov/driving/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Montana.