ATTENTION: Need to transfer a motorcycle title? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the New Jersey MVC’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in New Jersey.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your New Jersey motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in New Jersey?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local MVC in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the MVC of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a New Jersey Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your New Jersey motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official MVC for any questions.
To fill out a New Jersey motorcycle title:
- Refer to the back side of the motorcycle title.
- Enter the current odometer reading in the odometer box.
- Record the buyer’s details in the “Buyer’s Name” and “Buyer’s Address” sections.
- Record the seller’s name and address on the appropriate lines.
- Record the date of the sale and the selling price.
- Have the buyer and seller sign the title on the appropriate lines.
New Jersey Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in New Jersey.
Here is what you need to transfer a New Jersey motorcycle title into your name:
- Schedule an appointment and visit an MVC vehicle center.
- Present the MCO or the signed over title.
- Be prepared to provide proof of your identity and address.
- Pay the title fees.
If you’ve just bought the motorcycle, you’ll need to title it within 10 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in New Jersey?
The fees for New Jersey motorcycle title transfers include:
- Standard title fee: $60.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in New Jersey, check out the official MVC website at: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in New Jersey.