ATTENTION: Need to transfer a motorcycle title? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the New Mexico MVD’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in New Mexico.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your New Mexico motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in New Mexico?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local MVD in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the MVD of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a New Mexico Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your New Mexico motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official MVD for any questions.
To fill out a New Mexico motorcycle title:
- Refer to the bottom section of the front of the title.
- Record the sale price where it says: “Assignment of title for the exact amount of:”
- Record the date of the sale.
- Write the buyer’s name and address in the Buyer information section.
- Have the seller sign and print their name on the Signature of Seller lines.
- Have the buyer sign and print their name on the Signature of Buyer lines.
New Mexico Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in New Mexico.
Here is what you need to transfer a New Mexico motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local MVD office.
- Present the signed over and filled out title.
- Provide the odometer statement, if applicable.
- Provide proof of insurance if you are also registering the bike.
- Pay the title and registration fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in New Mexico?
The fees for New Mexico motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer fee: $17.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in New Mexico, check out the official MVD website at: http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in New Mexico.