ATTENTION: Need to transfer a motorcycle title? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the New York DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in New York.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your New York motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in New York?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a New York Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your New York motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a New York motorcycle title:
- Flip to the back of the title.
- Record the motorcycle’ odometer reading in the appropriate box near the right side of the page.
- The seller should sign and print their name in the Seller’s boxes.
- Record the seller’s address and the date of the sale.
- Record the buyer’s information and signature in the Buyer’s boxes.
New York Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in New York.
Here is what you need to transfer a New York motorcycle title into your name:
- Make an appointment and visit your local DMV office or submit your application by mail.
- Complete a title application: https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82ton.pdf
- Provide the signed over title.
- Present the bill of sale.
- Be prepared to show proof of your ID and address.
- Pay the titling fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in New York?
The fees for New York motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $50.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in New York, check out the official DMV website at: https://dmv.ny.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in New York.