When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the North Carolina DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in North Carolina.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your North Carolina motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in North Carolina?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a North Carolina Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your North Carolina motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a North Carolina motorcycle title:
- Turn to the back of the title.
- Print the buyer’s name and address on the appropriate lines.
- Record the current mileage in the odometer reading box.
- Have the seller sign and print their names on the appropriate lines.
- Record the date of the sale.
- Have the buyer sign on the Buyer’s Signature line.
North Carolina Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in North Carolina.
Here is what you need to transfer a North Carolina motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local DMV office.
- Present proof of your ID and address.
- Complete a title application: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/downloads/Documents/MVR-1.pdf
- Present the signed-over title.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in North Carolina?
The fees for North Carolina motorcycle title transfers include:
- Certificate of Title: $56.
- Duplicate title: $21.50.
- Instant title: $105.75.
- Late fee: $20.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in North Carolina, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.ncdot.gov/DMV/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in North Carolina.