When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the North Dakota DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in North Dakota.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your North Dakota motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in North Dakota?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a North Dakota Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your North Dakota motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a North Dakota motorcycle title:
- Find the appropriate sections near the middle of the front of the title.
- Record the Name of Buyer and the Buyer’s Address on the buyer lines.
- Record the current mileage in the Odometer Reading box.
- Record the date of the sale.
- Have the seller and buyer sign where it asks for Signature of Seller and Signature of Buyer.
North Dakota Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in North Dakota.
Here is what you need to transfer a North Dakota motorcycle title into your name:
- Make an appointment and visit your local DOT office.
- Complete a title application.
- Present the filled out and signed-over title.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in North Dakota?
The fees for North Dakota motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer fee: $5.
- Out-of-state title fee: $1.50.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in North Dakota, check out the official DMV website at: http://www.dot.nd.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in North Dakota.