When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Ohio BMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Ohio.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Ohio motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Ohio?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local BMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the BMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Ohio Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Ohio motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official BMV for any questions.
To fill out an Ohio motorcycle title:
- Flip to the back of the title.
- Print the buyer’s name and address on the first buyer lines.
- Record the current mileage in the odometer box.
- Have the seller complete and sign the Transferor’s/Seller’s sections.
- Have the buyer complete and sign the Transferee’s/Buyer’s sections.
Ohio Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Ohio.
Here is what you need to transfer an Ohio motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county clerk title office.
- Present proof of your identity.
- Complete a title application:http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv3774.pdf
- Bring the signed over title.
- Pay the applicable title fees and sales tax, if applicable.
If you’ve just purchased the bike, you’ll have 30 days to transfer the title.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Ohio?
The fees for Ohio motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $15.
- Duplicate title: $15.
- Late fee: $5.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Ohio, check out the official BMV website at: https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Ohio.