When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Oklahoma DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Oklahoma.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Oklahoma motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Oklahoma?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Oklahoma Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Oklahoma motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out an Oklahoma motorcycle title:
- Make sure to have the title signatures notarized or fill it out in front of a tag agent.
- The buyer’s information goes in the Purchaser’s section.
- Record the sale price and odometer reading in the appropriate boxes.
- The seller should sign and print their name in the appropriate Seller’s lines.
- The buyer should sign and print their name in the appropriate Buyer’s lines.
Oklahoma Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Oklahoma.
Here is what you need to transfer an Oklahoma motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local tag office.
- Complete a title application: https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/701-6.pdf
- Present the signed and notarized title.
- Present the bill of sale, if applicable.
- Provide the previous registration documents, if applicable.
- Provide proof of insurance, if necessary.
- Be prepared to show proof of your ID.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Oklahoma?
The fees for Oklahoma motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer: $17.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Oklahoma, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.ok.gov/tax/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Oklahoma.