When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Oregon DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Oregon.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Oregon motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Oregon?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out an Oregon Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Oregon motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out an Oregon motorcycle title:
- On the back of the title, record the date of the sale and the current odometer reading.
- Record the buyer’s name and address in the appropriate boxes.
- Record the seller’s information.
- Have the buyer and the seller sign on the appropriate lines.
Oregon Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Oregon.
Here is what you need to transfer an Oregon motorcycle title into your name:
- Make an appointment and visit your local DMV office or mail in your application and documents.
- Complete a title application: https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/226fill.pdf
- Provide the signed over title.
- Provide the bill of sale.
- Pay the title fees.
If you’ve just bought the motorcycle, you’ll need to get it titled within 30 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Oregon?
The fees for Oregon motorcycle title transfers include:
- Motorcycle title fee: $98.
- Late fee (31 to 60 days): $25.
- Late fee (61 days+): $50.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Oregon, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/Pages/index.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Oregon.