⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Pennsylvania DOT’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Pennsylvania.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Pennsylvania motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Pennsylvania?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOT in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DOT of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Pennsylvania Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Pennsylvania motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOT for any questions.
To fill out a Pennsylvania motorcycle title:
- Be prepared to have the title signatures notarized or fill it out at your local PennDOT office.
- The buyer and seller should be prepared to present proof of their ID.
- Record the motorcycle’s current mileage.
- Record the buyer’s name and address in the Purchaser sections.
- Have the buyer and seller sign and print their names on the appropriate lines.
Pennsylvania Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Pennsylvania.
Here is what you need to transfer a Pennsylvania motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local PennDOT office.
- Complete an Application for Certificate of Title (available at the office.)
- Present the signed, filled, and notarized title.
- Present proof of your identity.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Pennsylvania?
The fees for Pennsylvania motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer: $53.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Pennsylvania, check out the official DOT website at: https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Pennsylvania.