When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Rhode Island DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Rhode Island.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Rhode Island motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Rhode Island?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Rhode Island Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Rhode Island motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Rhode Island motorcycle title:
- On the back of the title, record the buyer’s name and address.
- Complete the odometer disclosure statement with the motorcycle’s current mileage.
- Have the buyer and seller sign and print their names on the appropriate lines.
Rhode Island Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Rhode Island.
Here is what you need to transfer a Rhode Island motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local DMV office or submit your application by mail.
- Complete a sales tax form: https://dmv.ri.gov/media/1111/download?language=en
- Complete a title application: https://dmv.ri.gov/media/866/download?language=en
- Present proof of ownership.
- Pay the applicable fees.
- Provide proof of your identification.
Rhode Island does not issue titles to motorcycles that are model year 2000 or older. You’ll use the bill of sale to register the bike in your name.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Rhode Island?
The fees for Rhode Island motorcycle title transfers include:
- Non-titled vehicles: $12.50.
- Title transfer: $52.50.
- New title: $52.50.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Rhode Island, check out the official DMV website at: https://dmv.ri.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Rhode Island.