- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the South Carolina DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in South Carolina.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your South Carolina motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in South Carolina?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a South Carolina Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your South Carolina motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a South Carolina motorcycle title:
- Flip to the back of your title.
- Record the buyer’s name and address on the buyer lines.
- Record the current mileage, sale price, and date of sale in the appropriate boxes.
- Have the buyer and the seller sign and print their names in the appropriate boxes.
South Carolina Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in South Carolina.
Here is what you need to transfer a South Carolina motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit an SCDMV branch.
- Present the signed over and filled out title.
- Provide proof of your ID.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in South Carolina?
The fees for South Carolina motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $15.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in South Carolina, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.scdmvonline.com/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in South Carolina.