When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the South Dakota DOR’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in South Dakota.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your South Dakota motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in South Dakota?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOR in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DOR of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a South Dakota Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your South Dakota motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOR for any questions.
To fill out a South Dakota motorcycle title:
- On the back of the title, record the odometer reading, date of sale, and sale price in the appropriate boxes.
- Have the seller sign and print their name in the Seller’s lines.
- Record the buyer’s name, address, and signature on the Buyer’s lines.
South Dakota Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in South Dakota.
Here is what you need to transfer a South Dakota motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local DOR office.
- Complete a title application.
- Present the signed-over title.
- Provide proof of your ID.
- Pay the tilting fees.
You’ll need to title and register your motorcycle within 45 days of buying it.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in South Dakota?
The fees for South Dakota motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $10.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in South Dakota, check out the official DOR website at: https://dor.sd.gov/individuals/motor-vehicle/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in South Dakota.