⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Tennessee DOR’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Tennessee.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Tennessee motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Tennessee?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOR in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DOR of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Tennessee Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Tennessee motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOR for any questions.
To fill out a Tennessee motorcycle title:
- On the back of the title, record the buyer’s name and address in the buyer section.
- Under that section, record the odometer reading.
- Have the seller record their name and current address on the appropriate lines.
- Record the date the vehicle was sold.
- Have the buyer and seller sign on the labeled lines.
Tennessee Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Tennessee.
Here is what you need to transfer a Tennessee motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county clerk’s office.
- Provide proof of identification and residency.
- Present the filled out and signed title.
- Provide a copy of your current registration if you plan to transfer license plates.
- Pay the title fees.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Tennessee, check out the official DOR website at: https://www.tn.gov/revenue/title-and-registration.html
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Tennessee.