When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Texas DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Texas.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Texas motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Texas?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Texas Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Texas motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Texas motorcycle title:
- Turn to the back side of your Texas title.
- Record the buyer’s name and address.
- Write down the current odometer reading.
- Record the date of sale.
- Have the seller and buyer sign on the appropriate lines.
Texas Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Texas.
Here is what you need to transfer a Texas motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your local county tax office.
- Complete a title application: https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/form_files/130-U.pdf
- Provide the signed over motorcycle title.
- Pay the title fees.
- Provide proof of insurance if you are also going to register the bike.
After purchasing a motorcycle, you’ll need to title it within 30 days of the sale.
The TX DMV recommends the buyer and the seller go to the DMV together to finish the transfer process.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Texas?
The fees for Texas motorcycle title transfers include:
- Sales tax: 6.25% of sale price or standard value (whichever is higher).
- Title transfer fee: $25 to $33, depending on your county.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Texas, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.txdmv.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Texas.