When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Utah DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Utah.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Utah motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Utah?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Utah Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Utah motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Utah motorcycle title:
- Complete the odometer section on the back of the title.
- Record the date of sale and sale price.
- Written the name of the seller on the Seller line.
- Record the seller’s current address.
- The seller signs on the Seller signature line.
- Record the buyer’s name and address.
- Have the buyer sign on the Buyer’s signature line.
Utah Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Utah.
Here is what you need to transfer a Utah motorcycle title into your name:
- Complete a title application: https://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-656.pdf
- Present the signed over and filled out Utah title.
- Provide the bill of sale.
- Complete any necessary inspections.
- Pay the title fees.
To complete the transaction, visit your local DMV or get started on the DMV website here: https://mvp.tax.utah.gov/_/
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Utah?
The fees for Utah motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $6.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Utah, check out the official DMV website at: https://dmv.utah.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Utah.