When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Vermont DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Vermont.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Vermont motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Vermont?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Vermont Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Vermont motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Vermont motorcycle title:
- On the back, record the buyer’s name and address on the appropriate lines.
- Record the current mileage on the odometer.
- Record the date of sale.
- Have the seller sign and print on the Seller’s lines.
- Have the buyer sign on the Buyer’s lines.
Vermont Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Vermont.
Here is what you need to transfer a Vermont motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your DMV office or mail in your application.
- Fill out a Title application: https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119-Vehicle_Registration_Tax_Title.pdf
- Present the signed over title.
- Provide the bill of sale.
- Pay the title fees.
Vermont only issues titles for motorcycles that are 15 years old or newer and 300cc or larger.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Vermont?
The fees for Vermont motorcycle title transfers include:
- Certificate of title: $35.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Vermont, check out the official DMV website at: https://dmv.vermont.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Vermont.