Need to title your motorcycle? We'll walk you through each step. First, let's take care of your motorcycle insuance.
Now is a great time to compare quotes to see if you qualify for a lower rate. Why pay more for insurance if you don't have to? Switch today and save!
⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please answer the questions below to get started:
When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Virginia DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Virginia.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Virginia motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Virginia?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Virginia Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Virginia motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Virginia motorcycle title:
- On the bottom of the title, have the buyer complete the appropriate section with their name and address.
- Record the current odometer reading, sale price, and date of sale.
- Have the buyer and the seller sign and print their names on the appropriate lines.
Virginia Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Virginia.
Here is what you need to transfer a Virginia motorcycle title into your name:
- Complete a title application: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa17a.pdf
- Provide the assigned and filled out title.
- Provide proof of your identity and address.
- Provide a bill of sale, if applicable.
- Pay the title fees.
- Select a paper title or an electronic title.
Title applications can be submitted in person, at a DMV Select, or through the mail.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Virginia?
The fees for Virginia motorcycle title transfers include:
- Titling fee: $15.
- Sales tax: Minimum $75.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Virginia, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/#/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Virginia.