When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Washington DC DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Washington DC.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Washington DC motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Washington DC?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Washington DC Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Washington DC motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Washington DC motorcycle title:
- Turn to the back of the title.
- Include the buyer’s details in the Purchaser section.
- Record the mileage.
- Record the date of sale.
- Have the buyer and seller sign on the appropriate lines.
Washington DC Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Washington DC.
Here is what you need to transfer a Washington DC motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit your DMV office.
- Complete a title application.
- Provide the signed over title and bill of sale.
- Present proof of identification and residency.
- Provide proof of insurance.
- Pay the title fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Washington DC?
The fees for Washington DC motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $26.
- Duplicate title: $26.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Washington DC, check out the official DMV website at: https://dmv.dc.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Washington DC.