Home » Motorcycle Title Transfers » How to Get a Title for a Motorcycle in Washington

Liked it? Share it!

How to Get a Title for a Motorcycle in Washington

When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Washington DOL’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties. 

This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Washington.

After that, you’ll be ready to get your Washington motorcycle registration and license plate

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Washington?

The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer. 

In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title. 

The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of. 

After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DOL in order to complete the title transfer process. 

The seller may need to notify the DOL of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form. 

How to Fill Out a Washington Motorcycle Title

The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller. 

Before you start to fill out your Washington motorcycle title, be sure to:

  • Use blue or black ink only. 
  • Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it. 
  • Have taken care of any name changes beforehand. 
  • Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable. 
  • Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”

Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DOL for any questions. 

To fill out a Washington motorcycle title:

  • Refer to the bottom of the front of your title. 
  • Complete the odometer disclosure statement. 
  • Have the buyer complete and sign the Transferee/Buyer section.
  • Have the seller complete and sign the Transferor/Seller section.

Washington Motorcycle Title Transfers

A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Washington.

Here is what you need to transfer a Washington motorcycle title into your name:

  1. Visit your local DOL office or mail in the application and documents.  
  2. Complete a Title Application (signed in front of a notary or licensing agent): https://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420001.html 
  3. Present the signed over title. 
  4. Provide the bill of sale. 
  5. Pay the title fees.

After buying a motorcycle, you’ll need to transfer it into your name within 15 days. Failing to do so will result in late fess up to $125. 

How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Washington?

The fees for Washington motorcycle title transfers include:

  • Standard title fee: $12.
  • Rush title: $50.

For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Washington, check out the official DOL website at:  https://www.dol.wa.gov/ 

Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Washington.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *