When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the West Virginia DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in West Virginia.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your West Virginia motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in West Virginia?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a West Virginia Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your West Virginia motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a West Virginia motorcycle title:
- On the back side of the title, record the sale price and calculate the tax.
- Record the name and address of the buyer.
- Record the motorcycle’s odometer reading.
- The seller should sign and print their name where it says Signature of Seller.
- The buyer should sign on the buyer line.
West Virginia Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in West Virginia.
Here is what you need to transfer a West Virginia motorcycle title into your name:
- Visit a DMV office.
- Complete a Title Application: https://transportation.wv.gov/DMV/DMVFormSearch/DMV-1-TR_Certificate-for-Title-of-Motor-Vehicle-wf.pdf
- Present the signed over title.
- Present a notarized bill of sale along with copies of the buyer’s and seller’s driver’s license.
- Pay the titling fees.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in West Virginia?
The fees for West Virginia motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title fee: $15.
- 6% Sales Tax
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in West Virginia, check out the official DMV website at: https://transportation.wv.gov/dmv/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in West Virginia.