When you buy a motorcycle or move from another state, you’ll need to transfer the title within the Wisconsin DMV’s specified time frame in order to stay compliant and avoid any penalties.
This page will provide you with the details and requirements for getting a motorcycle title in Wisconsin.
After that, you’ll be ready to get your Wisconsin motorcycle registration and license plate.
How do I transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Wisconsin?
The most important step in transferring ownership when you buy or sell a motorcycle is completing the title transfer.
In order to transfer ownership of a motorcycle, both the buyer and the seller will need to fill out and sign the title.
The seller should also create a Bill of Sale that both parties should sign and retain a copy of.
After that, the buyer will need to take their application documents, including the signed motorcycle title, to their local DMV in order to complete the title transfer process.
The seller may need to notify the DMV of the sale by submitting a notice of transfer and release of liability form.
How to Fill Out a Wisconsin Motorcycle Title
The first step in any title transfer is having the existing title filled out and signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Before you start to fill out your Wisconsin motorcycle title, be sure to:
- Use blue or black ink only.
- Avoid crossing out or whiting out any items on the title as this can void it.
- Have taken care of any name changes beforehand.
- Have removed any old lienholder information, if applicable.
- Have both registered owners present to sign the title if the names are joined by “and.”
Always be sure to follow the instructions on your specific title and refer to your state’s official DMV for any questions.
To fill out a Wisconsin motorcycle title:
- Refer to the boxes on the front of the title.
- In the first column record the buyer and seller information on the appropriate lines.
- In the second column record the odometer reading.
- The buyer and seller should sign on the indicted lines.
Wisconsin Motorcycle Title Transfers
A motorcycle title transfer proceeds like any other vehicle title transfer in Wisconsin.
Here is what you need to transfer a Wisconsin motorcycle title into your name:
- Have your driver’s license and last 4 digits of your SSN ready.
- Present the signed over title.
- Complete an application: https://mv1.wi.gov/
- Pay the titling fees.
You can apply for a title online, by mail, or in person.
How much does it cost to transfer a motorcycle title in Wisconsin?
The fees for Wisconsin motorcycle title transfers include:
- Title transfer: $164.50.
For more information about motorcycle title transfers in Wisconsin, check out the official DMV website at: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/home.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Wisconsin.