- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Alabama and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Alabama.
Alabama Motorcycle Title & Inspection Requirements
- Does Alabama have an equipment/safety inspection?
- No, not required.
- Does Alabama require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Alabama require a title for old motorcycles?
- No title required for motorcycles older than model year 1980.
Alabama Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements
Motorcycles in Alabama must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars no more than 15” above seat height.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Footwear required.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Alabama
To register and title your project motorcycle in Alabama, you’ll need the following:
- Original title or signed registration documents.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Alabama:
- Bill of sale.
Find more information about Alabama motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Alabama
Here are some of your options when it comes to registering an Alabama motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Alabama
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Alabama.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.