This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Alabama and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Alabama Motorcycle Title & Inspection Requirements
- Does Alabama have an equipment/safety inspection?
- No, not required.
- Does Alabama require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Alabama require a title for old motorcycles?
- No title required for motorcycles older than model year 1980.
Alabama Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements
Motorcycles in Alabama must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars no more than 15” above seat height.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Footwear required.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Alabama
To register and title your project motorcycle in Alabama, you’ll need the following:
- Original title or signed registration documents.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Alabama:
- Bill of sale.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Alabama
Here are some of your options when it comes to registering an Alabama motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Alabama
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.