ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Alabama and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Alabama.
Alabama Motorcycle Title & Inspection Requirements
- Does Alabama have an equipment/safety inspection?
- No, not required.
- Does Alabama require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Alabama require a title for old motorcycles?
- No title required for motorcycles older than model year 1980.
Alabama Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements
Motorcycles in Alabama must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars no more than 15” above seat height.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Footwear required.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Alabama
To register and title your project motorcycle in Alabama, you’ll need the following:
- Original title or signed registration documents.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Alabama:
- Bill of sale.
Find more information about Alabama motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Alabama
Here are some of your options when it comes to registering an Alabama motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Alabama
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Alabama.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
6 thoughts on “Register & Title a Motorcycle in Alabama”
I recently purchased a 2012 KTM 500 EXC, a dual sport motorcycle if you will. I’m having problems getting it registered in Alabama since they don’t have titles due to falling under the dirt bike category. I’m looking for any information that will help me get it registered to legally ride on the road. Thanks!
If you’re able to provide any paperwork/documentation or get an inspection that states it’s okay for street use, you should be able to get it registered. Good luck – maybe someone else will comment with a similar experience in Alabama.
Out of state purchases DO require a VIN inspection.
You are correct. Thanks for spotting the error!
I bought a motorcycle in Alabama will a list title .. I need to get it titled .. I have a bill of sale and I got it notarized
I got a motorcycle with no title just bill sale how can I get a tag in state Tuscaloosa
Comments are closed.