Need to register or title your motorcycle? We'll walk you through each step. First, let's take care of your motorcycle insuance.
Now is a great time to compare quotes to see if you qualify for a lower rate. Why pay more for insurance if you don't have to? Switch today and save!
⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please answer the questions below to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Alaska and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Alaska.
Alaska Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Alaska have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Yes, there is a periodic motorcycle equipment inspection required.
- Does Alaska require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Alaska require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles are titled in Alaska.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Alaska
To title and register your motorcycle in Alaska, you’ll need the:
- Properly signed title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Title and Registration
- Registration and title fees.
Find more information about Alaska motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a No Title Motorcycle in Alaska
Here are some of your options when it comes to registering an Alaska motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Alaska
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Alaska.
Option 2: Out of state bikes
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Alaska Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Motorcycles in Alaska must have the following equipment:
- Rearview mirror on left and right side.
- Fenders on both wheels
- Handgrips not higher than rider’s shoulder height.
- Passenger footrests and handholds when carrying a passenger.
- Turn signals required.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.