This page will cover the motorcycle registration and title process in Colorado and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Colorado.
Colorado Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Colorado have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Safety inspection required.
- Does Colorado require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- VIN inspection required. Completed by law enforcement of authorized agent.
- Does Colorado require a title for old motorcycles?
- Titled required for all motorcycles.
How to Register and Title a Motorcycle in Colorado
To title and register a bike in CO, you’ll need the following:
- Signed over title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Vehicle title, registration fees and sales tax.
- Proof of insurance
- Bill of sale.
- VIN verification for out of state motorcycles.
- Title Application
Notarization Required on the following documents in Colorado:
- Any document or original title without a perjury statement.
Find more information about Colorado motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a No Title Motorcycle in Colorado
Here are some of your options when it comes to registering a Colorado motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles from CO
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Colorado.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Colorado Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Motorcycles in Colorado must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrests when riding with a passenger.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.