Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Delaware and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Delaware Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Delaware have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Safety/equipment inspection required.
- Does Delaware require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Out of state motorcycles must be inspected.
- Does Delaware require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, titles required for all motorcycles.
Register and Title an Used Motorcycle in Delaware
To register and title your motorcycle in Delaware, you’ll need the following:
- Current signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Delaware Title.
- Registration and title fees.
- Proof of insurance.
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Delaware
Here are some of your options when it comes to registering a Delaware motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Bikes from DE
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Delaware Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
DE requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passengers.
- Turn signals.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.