This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Delaware and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Delaware Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Delaware have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Safety/equipment inspection required.
- Does Delaware require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Out of state motorcycles must be inspected.
- Does Delaware require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, titles required for all motorcycles.
Register and Title an Used Motorcycle in Delaware
To register and title your motorcycle in Delaware, you’ll need the following:
- Current signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Delaware Title.
- Registration and title fees.
- Proof of insurance.
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Delaware
Here are some of your options when it comes to registering a Delaware motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Bikes from DE
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Delaware Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
DE requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passengers.
- Turn signals.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.