Home » How to Register & Title Your Motorcycle » Register & Title a Motorcycle in Florida

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

Register & Title a Motorcycle in Florida


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Florida and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle with no title.

Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Florida.

Florida Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles

  • Does Florida have an equipment/safety inspection?
    • No regular inspection required.
  • Does Florida require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
    • Yes, VIN inspection with a Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification Form required when transferring a motorcycle from another state. Usually performed by a law enforcement officer in any state or a DMV employee.
  • Does Florida require a title for old motorcycles?
    • Yes, all motorcycles require a title.

How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Florida

To register and title your motorcycle in Florida, you’ll need:

  • Original title signed by seller and buyer.
    • Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
  • Application for Certificate of Title
    • Odometer disclosure not required for motorcycles older than 10 model years.
  • Title & registration fees, and taxes.
  • A VIN Verification if the vehicle was purchased out of state.

Find more information about Florida motorcycle registration and registration renewal.

How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Florida

Here are some of your options if you bought a motorcycle with no title in Florida:

Option 1: Bikes from Florida

Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:

Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Florida.

Option 2: Bikes from out of state

If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:

Option 3: Register in a No-Title State

Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.

Florida Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements

Motorcycles in Florida must have:

  • Rearview Mirrors.
  • Handlebar grips must not be above shoulder height.
  • Passenger footrests required when riding with a passenger.
  • Daytime headlights required.

Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.

This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.

More Florida Motorcycle Resources

61 thoughts on “Register & Title a Motorcycle in Florida”

  1. I bought a bike here in Florida and I was given a Michigan title already filled out and signed by the previous legal owner. Just had to fill in the blanks. However the guy I bought the bike from never registered the bike in his name and just handed me said title with no bill of sale since it wasnt in his name. What do I need to do to get it registered in my name?

  2. I bought a 79 Ironhead, it has a title from New York that is titled to the engine. Frame and engine do not match. I live in Florida and want to get it registered. Will I have any problem being it’s titled to motor and not the frame?

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Some states used to title off the engine VIN rather than the frame. Other state DMVs can look this up. It may be worth a call to the DHSMV to double check if there’s anything else you need. And, you’ll want to confirm that the frame VIN is clean.

  3. Williphord Daugherty

    I have a 1979 HD that I took apart in 2000 in Florida, and has not been driven since, now I live in Iowa and decided to put my HD back together, the title is mine but it’s in Florida, so what do I need to do to register my motorcycle in Iowa if my title is still in Florida, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

    1. motorcyclezombies

      You should be able to get it titled and registered in Florida as if you were registering an out-of-state vehicle. Since the out-of-state title is in your name, you should have everything you need to go through the Florida’s reg/title process.

      1. So in other words, I can register my HD in Florida and still drive and live in Iowa with Florida plates?

        1. motorcyclezombies

          Sorry, no, I mixed up what you said. You should be able to use the old out-of-state title (that’s in your name) to register and title the bike in your current home state. So in your case, you should be able to use the old Florida title to complete the reg/title process in Iowa.

  4. Is the VIN inspection based on frame matching title or for frame, motor and title match for registering out of state motorcycle? Looking at purchasing a bike without motor and getting a motor elsewhere. Does motor need to be in bike to do VIN inspection?

    1. Typically it’s going to be Title & Frame VIN. Many states don’t include the motor’s VIN on the title, and it often doesn’t match the frame’s – if it is included on the title, that may or may not cause some confusion/obstacles in the future.

      You should be good here, though it’ll be worth a call to see if they’ll do inspections without any motor in the bike.

  5. I’m looking to purchase a project bike, where the owner has title to the engine and it comes with a custom hardtail frame. Am I able to use the title for the engine for the entire bike and have it titled as a 1976, or will it need to be titled as a 2020 custom build? (I much prefer to title it as a 1976 and this drives my decision on the purchase).

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Some older bikes did have the title/VIN tied to the engine rather than the frame. If this is the case with this particular bike, you should be good. However, it might be worth a call to DHSMV to double check.

  6. I’m interested in buying a motorcycle with a rebuilt title, the motorcycle is operative and only have some scratches, how easy is to register it and is worth the effort?. I’m in Florida.

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Assuming the Seller has completed the rebuilt title process with the FLDHSMV, it should follow as standard registration process. It’s a good idea to call HSMV to confirm in situations like this.

  7. I have two bikes with out-of-state titles in my name. I’ve never transferred the titles or registered (or driven them) since moving to Florida some years back. Now I just want to sell them. Do I need to title them in Florida first? Do I need to insure them to do so? Can you advise the basic steps assuming the buyer is also in Florida? I’d like to make it easy and cost effective for both of us. Thanks in advance.

    1. This should be a straightforward transaction.

      You’ll need to sign over the out-of-state titles, record the current odometer readings for each bike, and remove the plates.

      Florida also requires the seller to complete a VIN Inspection in cases where the bikes were not previously titled in the state. The VIN Verification forms will need to be verified by yourself and either a FLHSMV offiver, a FL dealer, a notary, or a law enforcement officer.

  8. I’m looking at buying a motorcycle that is currently plated in Kentucky. It was originally an off road motorcycle but the current owner got it titled and plated in Kentucky awhile back. It currently has a Kentucky title and plate on it now. To get it registered in Florida, I think I need title signed over to me, Bill of Sale and then a VIN inspection when I go to get it registered/titled in Florida. Can you confirm?


    1. motorcyclezombies

      You’ve got it right. Those are the basic steps to get it registered. Just be sure that the title doesn’t say anything like “Off-Road Use Only” or something similar.

  9. I am considering rebuilding a 1980 Moto Guzzi V50 that has been in fathers garage since he passed away 25 years ago. I only have the check that was used to pay for the bike back then and the title and tag# I am located in Florida. I want to make sure I can het a title before I put any money into the bike.

    Thanks for any advice,

    1. motorcyclezombies

      If you’ve got a signed title, you should be good. I’d do a quick check into FL’s inheritance laws and regulations too.

  10. Hoping that you can help… I’m a medical student from/licensed in Florida currently studying in Arizona. As a student, I’m permitted to keep my Florida credentials. How would I go about registering a used motorcycle bought via a private sale here in Arizona – in Florida… without me or the bike physically being in Florida? Thanks!

    1. motorcyclezombies

      If you have existing FL plates on a different bike you already had in AZ, you may be able to transfer the registration to your new bike. Otherwise, new Florida registrations require you to visit the DHSMV in person. It might be worth giving the AZ MVD a call to see if they have options for out-of-state non-residents in situations like yours. Good luck!

  11. sergey polishchuk

    Hi, I have a title , current registration and insurance for a bike in a storage unit in Brooklyn, NY, I have moved to FL and would like to get it registered and insured here, do I have to bring it down? Or can this be done online? And the the fees just a new title issuance and 10$ for the plate? Or do they calculate taxes based on KBB ? Thank you

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Out-of-state motorcycles will need a VIN inspection to title and register them in Florida. That can be done by either bringing the bike to Florida or having a DMV VIN Inspection completed in NY with the FL VIN form.

      You shouldn’t have to pay sales tax. Fees will include the out-of-state title transfer fee, plate fee, and registration fee.

  12. My buddy bought my bike but I don’t want to hand over the title til he pays it off so what does he need to do to get it reg and tagged without me signing the title over

    1. motorcyclezombies

      If you’re talking about a financed bike that still has payments left, you’ll need to contact your lienholder.

  13. I have acquired 2 bikes previously were used as track bikes only, but had all the lights and stood out back on. No previous registration info or totally. Vins check out, but I don’t know what to do to get registered.
    Not stolen, legit acquisition, just no paperwork or previous state registration. New to Florida. Would he appreciative if someone could maybe message/text me

    1. motorcyclezombies

      At the very least you’ll need something to act as proof of ownership – like the Bill of Sale that went along with the transaction.

      Sometimes motorcycles that are specifically manufactured for racing or as pit bikes cannot be registered to operate on public roads at all.

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Technically, you can probably register the bike without a motorcycle license. However, you’re going to need the motorcycle endorsement to operate the bike on public streets.

  14. I won a motorcycle that came from Texas that was being used to race so when he bought it it didn’t come with a title so how do I go about registering it here in Florida?

    1. motorcyclezombies

      You’ll need some sort of documents proving the ownership like an MCO, Bill of Sale, etc. and whatever receipt/proof of ownership you got with the bike when you won it. You’ll also need to get a VIN inspection completed and make sure that the bike is actually able to be registered for road use.

      Sometimes, bikes that are specifically manufactured for racing cannot be registered for on-highway use at all.

      Good luck.

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Yes, you should be able to. However, if you qualify as a resident of Florida, you’ll need to get a Florida license too.

  15. Any chance they’re doing registration via mail for corona? Thinking about buying a bike from a private seller here in Florida but worried I’ll never be able to get it registered. Thanks!

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Unfortunately it looks like new registrations will still need to be done in person. It looks like you’ll need to make an appointment first as well.

  16. Can I get insurance on my motorcycle before I get it registered at the DMV? The county I live my appointment is set for 3 weeks from this post and there not doing walk ins (COVID).

  17. I have a bike that I am selling. The bike is titled in South Carolina but I live in Florida now. The registration is still good so I haven’t changed it over yet. If I sell the bike now what do I do with my plate? In SC you are supposed to keep the plate and they must apply for temporary tags at the DMV. What do I need to do to complete the sale of my bike?

    1. motorcyclezombies

      In Florida, plates also stay with the owner.

      Complete the sale as you would if you were still in SC. Sign over the title, complete a bill of sale, complete a SC notice of sale and submit it to the SC DMV, and return your SC license plates if necessary.

      They buyer will then complete the normal process with the Florida DHSMV as they would for buying an out-of-state bike.

    1. motorcyclezombies

      If the FL title is in your name, you’ll just need to pay the registration and tag fee (base fee of $10 + applicable taxes).

      If you need to transfer the title into your name as well, that will be another $75 to $78, depending on whether you want an Electronic or Paper Title.

  18. I bought a used 1999 Harley Davidson motorcycle without a title how much trouble will I have getting a title and a plate

    1. motorcyclezombies

      If the bike is from Florida, give your local tag office a call to see if they may offer some help. If it’s from another state and you have old registration documents, you may be able to go directly through FL.

      Otherwise, going through Vermont first may be your best bet.

  19. Thinking about buying a 99 motorcycle from rhode island and to register in Fla….WHAT paperwork do I need to get ????……
    And the cost it’s going to be to do so.? Thanks for help in advance…

    1. motorcyclezombies

      From the seller you’ll want to get the following:

      • Signed over title.
      • Bill of Sale.

      Since it’s an out-of-state bike, you’ll need to get a VIN verification completed as part of the registration process.

      You’ll need to visit a motor vehicle service center with a completed application for registration & title.

      Fees you may need to pay in Florida to title and register the bike can include:

      • Title Fee: $85.25
      • Initial registration fee: $225
      • Original license plate fee: $28
      • Motorcycle registration fee: $10
      • Any applicable taxes.

      Call your local office with a description of the bike for the exact fees you’ll owe.

  20. I bought a Taotao Powermax 150cc Scooter online and had it shipped to me. They told me when I received it to fill out the MCO form include the Vin number and then they would send me the necessary paperwork for the particular state that I live in. I got the scooter and then I followed through with filling out the forms and sending for them. For three months now I’ve repeatedly filled out that form and sent it, beg for a response and to this day nothing but automated emails. Any thoughts on how I can get it registered?

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Unfortunately, you’re going to need to get the ownership paperwork from them. Most of the methods and advice here works for used bikes. I’d look for a number for their legal department or headquarters if the customer service emails you’ve been trying have been no help. Sorry that you’ve got to deal with all that. Good luck!

    2. You should have made an appointment at your nearest Florida DMV and it will all be taken care of in less than thirty minutes. You need Bill of Sale, Title from the State that issued Title to the company who sold you scooter (on-line)! Pay 7% Tax on cost plus $41, motor-cycle Registration fee and that should include tags

    1. motorcyclezombies

      You’re correct, Florida does not require proof of insurance to register a bike.

      Medical insurance coverage is required if you plan to ride without a helmet.

      However, if you are at-fault in a crash involving injury, death, or property damage, you’ll be financially responsible (standard insurance policy, self insurance certificate, surety bond with the state).

      1. Reply mentions you need liability insurance if you ride without a helmet. I believe that is incorrect, to my understanding you need medical insurance proof of at least $10,000 coverage if you choose to ride without helmet.

        Riding without a helmet should have no effect on your liabilities with or without helmet they would be the same. The damage you would inflict on another vehicle, if involved with a crash or accident, isn’t going to change if you are, or not wearing a helmet.

        1. motorcyclezombies

          You are also correct – our comment has been updated to remove any confusion there. Thank you.

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Depending on the state (i.e. if they don’t issue titles to bikes older than a certain model year) or if the registration is in your name, you should be able to register it in Florida with the out-of-state registration paper. If not, you’ll need to look into acquiring a duplicate title or registering the bike in a no-title state.

  21. Good day

    I just bought a motorbike and would like to ger some plates.
    I am from South Africa and have my bike licence.
    What do i need to get plates for the bike?

    1. motorcyclezombies

      You’ll need to contact Florida HSMV to see if you can register a motorcycle as a non-U.S. citizen. Rules on this vary from state to state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *